Friday, August 21, 2009

My Wedding Set

Or How I Ruined a Family Heirloom To Make Another OneYes, this ring is missing something big from the middle that was cut out.




Way back before Steven and I got married, my grandmother told me about my grandfather's ring that belonged to my great-grandfather. It had three diamonds on it. Her plan was to let me use the biggest stone for my wedding set if I wanted. The other two stones would go to her and my mom. I let Steven know this with plenty of notice.


When we knew we were getting married, we spent lots of time looking for the perfect set in which to include the diamond. We eventually decided on a set from Doris Diamonds (which is now closed). The only problem was I wanted white gold. So this was going to be made and would take some time. It didn't take me long to change my mind to the yellow gold. I knew Doris had the yellow set in the store. I knew they already had my Papa's ring. It wouldn't take long to get my new set back, right? It turns out Doris had to order a special stone mount for the diamond. Due to its age, the diamond was not cut like newer ones. It took a little longer than I expected. But the day I knew he picked the set, I pulled my spoiled girl routine to get the engagement ring.


Long story short, I had the stone removed from my great-grandfather's ring to be a part of my wedding ring set. It means so much to know my set wasn't just one of many made in bulk by some no name faceless person. There was time and effort put into making my ring special for me. One day, I hope to be able to give my rings to Audrey and explain to her why they have an emotional value to our family.


1 comment:

  1. The rings are beautiful and I loved the story. Although I do have a ring that belonged to my husband's late mother, there are no real heirlooms like this in either of our families.

    :: ICLW ::

    ReplyDelete